At two in the morning, whether you're hungry, thirsty, craving a pack of
smokes, or just bored, you can find just what you need at your local
Bodega. Every street has at least one and every avenue has a few
dozen. The Bodega has become a way of life in Brooklyn. It doesn't
necessarily need to be Hispanic owned, even though it is Spanish word. You don't
have to be a Jew to eat a bagel and you don't need to be Spanish to shop in a Bodega.
Here is a list of things that make a
Bodega a Bodega
- Open 24hrs or at least from 6a.m to 4a.m.
- Must always have someone hanging out in front of the store to make sure you feel
- Must accept Food Stamps or WIC in exchange for cigarettes.
- Must sell loose cigarettes.
- Everything stocked on the shelves needs to be at least 1 year past the expiration date.
- Owners or at least the person behind the counter must be non-white or it would be called
a Gourmet Eatery.
- Hands and floor must be dirty.
- Must deal in some sort of contraband or at least have a card game going on in the back.
- A baseball bat behind the counter is required and a gun preferred.
- A "No Credit" sign must be visibly displayed.
- Must stock food that no one has ever seen or heard of.
- Must have a cat who pees on the lower shelves.
- Absolutely must stock Manhattan Special.
If you would like to add something to this list just e-mail me.